Plans and Parts List: "Texas" Style Cone Trap for Monitoring Certain Insect Pests
ENTFACT-010: Plans and Parts List: "Texas" Style Cone Trap for Monitoring Certain Insect Pests
by Doug Johnson, Extension Entomologist & Sam McNeill, Extension Agricultural Engineer,
University of Kentucky College of Agriculture
Texas Cone Trap
The 'Texas" style cone trap is used in combination with a bait, to capture any one of several important insect crop pests. The information generated (by capture, lack of capture and/or amount of capture) may be combined with other techniques, like temperature models, and scouting, to provide needed input into insect pest management decisions. This publication is intended to aid you in building these traps and does not contain all of the information necessary for one to use the trap properly.
This trap design is not original to the University of Kentucky, but has been in general use in insect research throughout the US for several years. The trap contained in these drawings is generally after the design of Hartstack, et al. (1979) and modified for use in Kentucky by Jackson et al. (1992).
We wish to thank Mr. John Earnest, of the Department of Agricultural Engineering, for drawing the plans and compiling the parts list.
- Hartstack, A.W., J.A. Witz and D.R. Buck. 1979. Moth traps for the tobacco budworm. J. Econ. Entomol. 72 519-522.
- Jackson, M.D., G.C. Brown, G.L Nordin and D.W. Johnson. 1992. Autodissemination of a baculovirus for tobacco budworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) management on tobacco: A two- year, two-state field test. J. Econ. Entomol. 85(3):710-719.
'TEXAS'INSECT CONE TRAP: MATERIALS LISTING
A. CATCH BASKET ASSEMBLY
- Steel Wire Mesh, Type 304, Corrosion Resistant 8 X 8 w/ wire dia. of .017" 10" x 10" Sheet (1 sheet)
- Steel Wire Mesh, Type 304, Corrosion Resistant 8 X 8 w/ wire dia. of .032" to .035" 16" x 8" Sheet (1 sheet)
- Steel Wire Mesh, Type 204, Corrosion Resistant 8 X 8 w/ wire dia. of .032" to .035" 12" x 26" Sheet
- Steel Rod, 1/8" X 15" (1 each)
- Loop Clamp, 8 Inch Diameter (Can be substituted by a clamp assembly consisting of two or more clamps combined into one 8 Inch Clamp) (1 each)
- Wire, Baling, Wire Dia. of .050" to .0625" (60 inches)
B. TRAP ASSEMBLY
- Steel Wire Mesh, Type 304, Corrosion Resistant 8 X 8 w/ wire dia. of .032" to .035" 60" x 30-1/2" Sheet (1 Sheet)
- Steel Wire Mesh, Type 304, Corrosion Resistant 8 X 8 w/ wire dia. of .032" to .035" 34" x 34" Sheet (1 Sheet)
- Wire, Baling, Wire Dia. of .050" to .0625" (100 inches)
C. SUPPORT BASE ASSEMBLY
- Steel, Mild, Flat w/ corrosion resistant surface 38" x 1" x 1/4" (2 Each)
- Bolt w/ nut, 1/4" x 1-1/2" (4 each)
- Washers, Flat, 1/4" Bore w/ 3/4" outside diameter (8 Each)
- Pipe, Steel, 3/4" Inside diameter 6" in length (1 each)
NOTE: See drawings (linked above) for a suggested cutting pattern layout using a 60" x 62-1/2" screen sheet.
CAUTION! Pesticide recommendations in this publication are registered for use in Kentucky, USA ONLY! The use of some products may not be legal in your state or country. Please check with your local county agent or regulatory official before using any pesticide mentioned in this publication.
Of course, ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS FOR SAFE USE OF ANY PESTICIDE!
Images: University of Kentucky Entomology